Wednesday 26 January 2011

Prospects, Pageants and Paychecks

I have been in the most amazing mood for about two weeks and I have no real explanation for it.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the plethora of things I have to look forward to in the ensuing months. (Despite the fact that it includes a pretty hectic workload and quite a demanding schedule.)

To elaborate, I started my first real job today and I actually like it a lot. I really just happened upon it, and almost chose not to go to the open interview, but something told me I should. And even with just ten minutes left I put on my best, plodded through the rain and went inside with a positive attitude. Fortunately, I was hired on the spot and my excitement thereafter was overflowing. (Nothing happens before its time right?)

In fact, I was so excited that when I walked outside to find that I had left my headlights on and killed the car battery I barely had a reaction. I was still partially celebrating but gradually transitioned into fix-it mode.

What happened was that it was a pretty gloomy and rainy day and I had an appointment elsewhere right when the open interviewing began. I carried my friend with me to the appointment and after leaving, with only a few minutes to spare, I let her know that I was going to an interview. In my usual fashion, I literally had only a few minutes to spare and rushed off without remembering I had my lights on to see through the rain.

Nevertheless, my friend stayed in the car; completely unaware that the headlights were on.

Hence, before I got to telling her my amazing news, she blurted out that the car would not start. It was still raining at the time and there were two cars parked beside me, (The one time I did not reverse into the parking spot. Go figure.) so I had to wait until later on that day when the parking lot cleared out a bit to get it up and running.

Thankfully, my cousin was able to come for me and take me home in the meanwhile.

As for school-related activities, I am taking Editing I this semester. So needless to say I will become even more of a freak after I am done with the class.

I am also taking Comm Law which I presume is gonna kick my ass be really demanding. I hope, though, that it will also be interesting because I don't want to die of boredom while failing a class. It's just too much "fail" for me to wrap my mind around.

And how could I ever forget Advanced Reporting. (Yeah. This is pretty much just an advanced version of the class I took last semester that I was fretting about, which by the way I ended up getting an 'A' in.) For this class we get to write for the Orlando Sentinel. (Yay!) It operates more like a newsroom than a class. No tests or book needed. Just reporting reporting and more reporting.

Fun stuff.

The last class I am taking is Info Graphics, which really is not as much about Bar Graphs and Flow charts as it sounds. (Last class I made Spongebob with Adobe Illustrator.) It is only once a week and it keeps me entertained. No book or test for this class either.

Imagine my excitement.

With all of that said, I figured now would be as good a semester as any to be more active on campus and, ultimately to get a job; so I'm going to shock some of you who know me well with this next piece of information...I signed up for a pageant.

I know. I'm too short to be in a pageant. But before you get your panties in a bunch, I just want to say that it is not a professional pageant or anything. It's just for the one organization on campus that I am a part of, CSA, and I figured it would be a good way to overcome my fear of crowds.

Hopefully I don't get cold feet.

Does it suffice to say I have a lot of good to look forward to? I certainly think so.

It may sound like a mouthful but I'm not complaining. I"ll just sit back and ride this wave until it crashes into the shore and flatlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?