Monday 23 August 2010

You Have to Start Somewhere

After my first day of class, I can confidently say that there is a huge difference between the first two years of college and the last two.

All the lectures I received in high school by teachers who swear that college classes are the most difficult classes ever come in to play right now. I have decided to take five classes this semester in an effort to ensure I graduate in Spring 2012, and they are not the easiest classes in the bunch. (Those of you who know me know that is a huge sacrifice for someone who absolutely loves free time for sleeping and going to the gym.)

Nonetheless, I felt slightly undermined by the freshman M&M major who I interviewed today. His excitement to be taking 16 credits was overflowing.

Speaking of interview, I thought I would share my stress with you. Since I am finally in the Journalism school, that means I am officially taking Journalism classes. (Yay!) However, the first class on the list is what I would like to call the "Weed-whacking" class. (And I am not the only one to notice this.) The teachers are especially hard on students in this class because they want you to get it. Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. There is no room for error. One spelling mistake and you fail. Factual error? Forget about it. Misquote? Just drop the class now.

We are required to write six articles, one of which must be published in a local newspaper, and we will attend several Writers' Meetings for said newspaper. In all honesty, that is far less articles than I had anticipated--but I am not complaining.

On another note, I am all moved in and settled into my new apartment. My roommates are delightful and my place has come together quite nicely. There is still room for one more person upstairs, but all the merrier if no one shows. I also have to mention that the staff at this place is awesome. They are extremely accommodating and friendly--coming from my old apartment that is quite refreshing.

If you are wondering about the people I was supposed to live with--Prima Esposa and Applebee--they have both decided to do what is best for them. Kudos to them for doing so because I know they are both happy, and that is all that matters. There are no hard feelings, just a bit of sadness in regards to Prima Esposa who has left the school all together. She transferred to a school back home and moved back in with her family. When I visited her over the summer she was glowing, and I am happy for her, but I cannot say I won't miss her quite a lot this year. In fact, it is her room that is empty right now. It is open and waiting for you, for now, if by any chance you change your mind. =)

Despite the pressure from the weed out Journalism class, and the 8-10 page paper  required for Diplomacy, I feel very good about this semester. I feel like I am heading on the right path and that I will gain some very valuable life skills from all the tasks I plan to take on.

And one more thing; no more room for sadness. Happy days ahead!

You can quote me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?