Monday 28 September 2009

Rewind That for Me. Just Once.

I saw a commercial yesterday that I think is more than worth a blog. It took me back to a time when I wondered why I live in this aristocratic country amongst so much ignorance and corruption.

The commercial said, and I quote, "FREE HEALTH CARE: is not a guarantee that you will keep your doctor.. Is not a guarantee that you won't have to wait longer.. is not a guarantee that you will get treated.." Wow. These words lingered in my mind for a while, building up my anger letter by letter. I am no economist and I never watch the news. I cannot tell you what is going on in the world, or name every government official. I can only give you my opinion - based on what I do know.

Over the summer holiday I was introduced by a great friend of mine to a few videos - some of which I am still skeptical to watch. (The truth hurts sometimes.) Of these videos, the two I did manage to watch, were complete eye openers. The first was The Esoteric Agenda. Google it; and I will leave it at that.

The second, which was much less frightening, was Sicko - a movie released in 2007 by Mr. Farenheit 9/11 himself, Michael Moore. It was a movie about health care. Sounds boring enough doesn't it? Well, I thought so too, until I actually sat down and watched it. Since that first time, I would like to estimate that I have seen it about 5 times. (I even watched the bonus features and concluded that I need to move to Norway.)

The best part of the general theme, was that it could have easily been about the 46 million people in America who do not have health care and who would mostly rather ignore their illnesses than ever set foot in a doctor's office. But it was not. It was about the millions of people who are insured, mostly as a part of their job's benefits.

It shed some light on the endless list of diseases that your health insurance will not cover, and how most of those with insurance have to get their illness approved before the insurance company does anything to help them. Even 9/11 heroes, who in turn developed respiratory diseases, have to fight for the attention of the government. Those who may not have been firefighters or police officers, but who risked their lives to go into the rubble and try to find people. The reason they cannot get health care? Because they were not "on government payroll." (In other words, who the hell told you to be a good Samaritan?)

It discussed the difference between our system and that of Canada, England, France, and even Cuba, and how the doctors there are doctors because they genuinely care about the well-being of their patients. (What a concept!) It talked about how sick people in said countries, even those who are just vacationing, can walk in and out of a hospital without dropping a penny. In fact, in England, they reimburse your trip to the hospital had it cost you anything.

More importantly, it also talked about how American companies will bend over backwards to ensure that its people do not get free, universal health care. But why?

This brings me back to the commercial. When I saw it I could not help but have a flashback to said movie. Obama is currently on the chopping block because he is pushing for universal health care, as was Hilary during her husband's presidency, another topic covered by Moore in Sicko. Did we forget that when we voted for Obama, we voted for change? Why then are we being so close-minded and hypnotized by those who are simply in it for the money? How can ANYONE tell me that this country does not need a health care reform?

Still, someone dropped majour dollars to broadcast dozens of anti free-healthcare commercials in order to influence the mass of otherwise ignorant people to believe that FREE healthcare is a bad thing. I am in disbelief. Private companies are so afraid that they will have to stop over-charging innocent people for medicines they need to stay alive. The thought of saving someone's life by simply giving them the medicine or treatment they need is so far-fetched that they, along with some government officials of course, deemed it completely necessary to air commercials like those. People who cannot stand the thought of getting $5million a year instead of the 10 or 20 they get from stealing lives and money. Unbelievable.

Greed is going to be the death of this country.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your thoughts everyday, more and more. -Marcel

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?